Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Two years ago

I'm doing this from work (shh, don't tell anyone), so some of the pictures will have to be added later.  I was reflecting on my life two years ago and how wonderful things are now.  This month two years ago was a bit stressful - both wonderful and scary things happening.  I had only been at my new job for a few months and was a little nervous because I was going to have to ask to take almost 2 weeks off in that month!

The month started off with a wedding in North Carolina on October 3.  My friend Denise got married and asked me to be one of her two bridesmaids.  I was shocked and honored at the request.  We had a wonderful weekend at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.  I remember how wonderful the weather was and wishing that I lived up there all the time. (Of course that was before I had 3 kids down here that I have to be near, we only had one at that time - more on that later).  The wedding was outside and was absolutely beautiful.  I had to walk up and down stone steps in heels and was a little nervous about that, but all was well and no ankles were injured :)

A few weeks later on October 20, my dad went in for back surgery.  That was one of the longest, most stressful days of my life.  Dad had such an ease about the surgery, but I was very scared.  One little slip and he would be paralyzed!  Ok, so maybe that is a bit overdramatic, but that's how I felt.  His surgery was suppose to have started around 10 (keep in mind too that this was in Orlando, so Josh and I left G'ville around 6:30 that morning to be able to see him before his surgery), but it didn't actually get started until closer to 12 or 1.  As soon as we were informed that he was being worked on, we went to lunch (if for nothing else, to get out of the waiting room chairs).  His surgery lasted until about 5 or 6 that night (I think, I know it was later than we had expected).  Then he had to wait in Post-Op until his room was cleaned.  He wasn't suppose to have visitors back there while he was coming out of anesthesia and such, but when we realized how late it was getting and told the staff that Josh and I had to get back to Gainesville, they finally let us back to see him around 8.  He was fine and did so well that they didn't even send him to rehab like originally planned.

So, that was Tuesday.  On Wednesday I headed to Wauchula to an empty house (Mom was staying in Orlando to be close to Daddy).  On Thursday, I had the pleasure of keeping my Jay-man for Mom so that Tiffany and Steven wouldn't have to find someone else to watch him (and so I could have him all to myself for a day!).  We had a wonderful day and I had fun playing with Daddy's good camera and taking pictures.

That night was the rehearsal dinner for Beckie and David's wedding.  We had fun and it was great meeting a new friend, Kimberly from Kentucky.  We then had fun Thursday night and spent the day Friday doing things to get ready for the wedding.  Saturday, after my hair appointment, we had the bridesmaids' brunch.  Then it was off to the church to get everyone dolled up for the wedding.

We had a blast and it was so wonderful to see Beckie find the one that God has intended for her.  It was a great way to end a busy, crazy, wonderful month.

Two year update:  Denise is an ordained pastor and (from what I can deduce) is loving being married to Dean Martin.

Dad has dropped over 70 lbs (I think) and is looking and feeling great!!!  Has no problems what-so-ever with his back (unless he bends or twists the wrong way and is reminded of the steel rods and pins that are holding him together).

Beckie and David just welcomed their second daughter and are having a wonderful time being married and being parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment