Tuesday, March 6, 2012

5 years - A Rememberance of the Greatest Lady I Know

It hit me last week that on February 27, 2012 it was 5 years that my Granny has been gone.  At times it feels like she was just here and we were just sitting and enjoying each other's company.  And then again, so much has happened in that 5 years that it almost feels like a lifetime ago that she was here.

I remember the last day that I saw her and the emotions going through me.  In a way, I think I knew that the end was near and that I may never see her again.  I think it was God's way of preparing me so that I wouldn't feel that lack of closure.  It was Sunday,  Febraury 25, 2007.  I had come home for the weekend to celebrate my Mom's birthday.  As usual, we went down to Arcadia for church and then went back to the assisted living place where Granny was living to have lunch.  Uncle Bill joined us as he typically did on Sundays after church.  One of the most vivid things I remember (and one of the clues to me that her time was coming) was when Granny started talking about how her oven wasn't working properly (she didn't have one in her room) and was pointing at her T.V.  Dad tried to gloss over it and say that she was just joking, and that she shouldn't joke that way because she was starting to upset her granddaughter and daughter-in-law.  Granny gave him a confused look as if to say "I'm not joking, now fix my oven.".

For those of you who read this and don't know the story of my Granny, I'll have to share that with you some day.  But the main thing to know is that she had some major health issues and her passing was a blessing.  However, the selfish side of me was so not ready for her to go. There were things that were supposed to happen that she needed to be here for (my wedding, the birth of children, my graduation from UF - to name a few (and no not necessarily in that order).  I know that when those events happen, I will have a moment of emotional break down knowing that Granny is not physically there with me to celebrate.  BUT she will be watching me and celebrating with the angels in Heaven.  She was always there for me and my biggest role model for my Christian walk.  She inspired so many and I will do my best to let the next generation of Southwells know what an amazing person that Ada Ruth Reeve Southwell was and who their Granny is to me.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Love you, too! I would NOT have made it through that first night without you (nor would I have listened to my mother and stayed in Gainesville that night if it hadn't been for you keeping me there)!

      Delete